Photo byMink Mingle onUnsplash
It’s time to pass the torch on. The generation that grew up learning to drive on Beetles, Camrys, and Pintos has come of age is now preparing to see their own children driving cars— but being able to pick a car in the age of the Internet grants you the opportunity to make better choices about what car your kid should have when they begin driving.
When looking into used cars to be their first car experience, it’s essential to know what virtues are available to assure the safety of your young driver. Here are our top ten used cars for first-time drivers (alphabetically):
1. Audi A3 (2016) - One of the recurring themes of the cars we are excited about is the excellent safety features, and the 2016 Audi A3 has them: a rearview camera, parking sensors, and more. It’s a little pricey for a gift but worth it for peace of mind.
2. BMW 3-Series (2017) - This is a good car for a timid new driver. It has a 5-star crash rating and has the kind of pick-up that a more reckless driver will misuse, but a nervous driver should feel empowered by the torque.
3. Chevrolet Malibu (2016) - A rather plain-looking sedan belies the safety inside it. The 2016 Malibu has a forward-collision warning with automatic braking. It employs a side blind-zone system with a rear cross-traffic alert to keep your younger driver warned before they develop that sense of peripheral vision in their driving.
4. Ford Fusion (2015) - Fusions are like little rocket ships. You want them in the hands of the kind of driver who will care for them properly and won’t drive irresponsibly in them. But the 2015 Fusion has MyKey technology. That lets you set both speed and audio-volume limits to ensure your new driver isn’t reckless. You can even use MyKey to set up seatbelt reminders for your kid!
5. Honda Accord (2013-newer) - The Accord is one of the most popular cars ever, and the 2013 model was the most popular car for the year for many reasons. Above all else, it’s a safe, reliable vehicle, which means finding one might be hard work.
6. Hyundai Sonata (2016) - Safe and smart, a Sonata is a great first car! Like the Ford Fusion, Hyundai has a “keep tabs on my young driver” system called Blue Link. It can send text alerts if the Sonata is driven above a certain speed or out of a specified area!
7. Mazda 3 (2011-newer) - The 2011 Mazda 3 is a sporty car, but it has many parent-friendly virtues: fuel-efficient, safe in a crash, and reliable.
8. Subaru Legacy (2015) - Subies will sell you all day on why a Subaru is a great car, but I can name three virtues: the all-wheel drive, a lane departure warning system, and blind-spot monitoring will help your young driver learn safety and boundaries.
9. Toyota Prius (2011-newer) - A Prius has many virtues, but the biggest one for a student driver is the fantastic fuel economy. Gas expenses are something that takes time to learn how to manage. With a Prius, the cost will go down considerably. The Prius is an excellent car for a student studying out of state.
10. Volkswagen Golf (2015) - The 2015 Golf happens to be one of the best cars ever made. Its safety features include a rearview camera.
We hope this list gives you a few good ideas for your child’s first used car! Come and visit us now at 6244 Main St., Kansas City, MO 64113, or book your appointment here to make sure everything is running smoothly. We want to make sure that your vehicle is safe for you. Brookside “66” Service would be happy to assist you with any questions or concerns you may have!